1. There’s music in the air this week with the Arcadia Music Festival which crescendos into a finale at St Giles Downton on the Rock on Sunday 7th October. An annual music festival created in 2010 by composer and pianist Eleanor Alberga and the violinist Thomas Bowes, Arcadia takes place in various churches and cultural centres in and around Ludlow. This year’s festival is a celebration of the music of J S Bach and includes instrumental music, religious music and and an illustrated talk.
2. It’s harvest time so make the most of life in the countryside. Berrington Hall all is holding a full month of apple themed activities, ideal for children and on Sunday, 21 October Croft Castle is offering visitors a tour of its ancient trees including the 1000 year old Quarry Oak. Closer to home, The Poppy Suite and Harry’s Bar at Ludlow Football Stadium are holding a countryside ramble on Sunday, 7th October in aid of Children In Need and in association with BBC Countryfile. Enjoy a lovely walk before heading back to The Poppy Suite for Sunday lunch.
3. Autumn is a good time to drink up! This weekend from Friday, 5th October, it’s the Shropshire Oktoberfest with over 150 real ales, ciders, bubbles and more served alongside amazing live music, street food, farmers market, and comedy club, all taking place at Quarry Park. October also sees the launch of Ludlow’s very own gin and beer festival, The Ale Wife’s Beer Festival 2018 from Friday, 19 October to Sunday, 21 October. A collaboration between The Church Inn, Hobsons Brewery, Ludlow Dry Gin and St. Laurence’s Church expect to find championship and local beers, ciders and perries, Wardington's Original Ludlow Gin Bar, food, live music and children’s activities.
4. Local team Be Endurance hold their final endurance event of the year this weekend with Storm the Fort Duathlon on Sunday, 7th October. Set in the stunning Shropshire hills, competitors can choose between two duathlons, a half marathon or two sportives. All events are challenging with climbing galore and some off-road sections. Expect spectacular views. Race day kicks off from Clun Memorial Hall.
5. Fancy a flutter? Enjoy a day in ‘lovely Ludlow’ for the first Annual Ludlow Brewery Race Day at Ludlow Racecourse on Wednesday, 10th October. Marking the start of the Autumn racing season, this newly sponsored event will have a Ludlow Brewery marquee offering all their local brews. Tickets include admission, race-card and one free drink. They’re under starter’s orders at 2.30pm but you can get to the gates from 12pm.
6. If you want to avoid Halloween this year, probably best to turn off the lights and pretend no one’s at home! Or you can let your little horrors join in the spooky fun from crafts and games with Intellistars at Rockspring Community Centre to spooky trails at Croft Castle, torchlit walks at Bodenham and scary spectacles at Hampton Court Castle. See our events page or visit us on Facebook for more information.