1. Wild garlic course at Shropshire Hills Discovery Centre: The scent of wild garlic is one of the best features when you’re out walking in the woods this time of year. You can stumble across great carpets of white flowers adorning the forest floor. Wild garlic is considered a super food and you can learn more about this great plant and what to do with it at the Shropshire Discovery Centre. The day-long course comprises a 2-mile walk where you can smell and pick garlic to make wild garlic pesto after a lunch break back at the Discovery Centre. This is all for £10 from 10am-3pm on 8th April. Call 01588676060 for more information and to book.
2. Are you tough enough for the Storm the Castle duathlon on 22 April? Cycling and running events for both novice and elite athletes competing to win prizes. Races begin just below the castle walls at the Ludlow Rugby Centre and finishes at the Ludlow Castle. This is an event that can draw the whole family together as kids from 5-16 can also participate in their own Storm the Castle event in different age categories.
3. Laughter is the best medicine. See live comedy with stand-up comedian Phill Jupitus at Ludlow Assembly Rooms. His show Juplicity promises over an hour of tales, laughs and diversions.
4. Let’s eat: We’re looking forward to a menu of inspired Japanese street food using local produce served up on Japanese Street Food Night and hosted by Gresko family at Hobson Brewery on 26 April from 7-10 p.m. Pre-booking a must. Call Hobsons on 01299 270837.
5. Go the distance: For a bit of shopping at Bewdley Riverside Sunday Market. Held on the 1st and 3rd Sunday of the month on the Severnside South and Load Street. Have a jolly around stalls featuring artisan, local produce, vintage & antique, crafts, fine foods, jewellery and street food.
6. Garden time: For the love of gardening. It’s that time of year to enjoy someone else’s hard work and grit with displays at gardens and estates. We’ve covered two such gardens within a short distance of Ludlow in our most recent blog, the wonderful Hampton Court Castle and intimate Stockton Bury Gardens.