1. You don’t have to train three times a week or cycle 80 miles non-stop to enjoy the Ludlow 10k or the Velosalopia, you can have just as much fun as a spectator. These two multi-sport events are the brainchild of local boys, Be Endurance, the team behind the award-winning Storm the Castle. Velosalopia kicks off at Ludlow Brewery from 9am on Sunday 8th July and The Ludlow 10km takes place at 7.15 pm on Saturday 14 July.
2. Just when you thought it was safe…Mamma Mia (here we go again) is back! So find your inner Dancing Queen, grab some friends and enjoy meeting all the characters 10 years on (with a guest appearance from Cher, no less) at Ludlow Assembly Rooms – screenings twice daily from Friday 20 July to Thursday 2 August (including Sundays)
3. The whacky races are here again with the Richard’s Castle SoapBox Derby and promises to be a fun day out for the entire family. The aim of the day, where teams build and race their own crazy carts, is to raise money for local causes and takes place on Sunday 8 July from 10-4pm. Last year, fundraising surpassed the £100,000 mark. This year they have chosen to donate to local charities: ECHO, The Cart Shed and Working Together. There is also lawn mower racing, vintage tractors, a bouncy castle and local food from Faulkners, Tudges sausages, Gresko BOHDI and Su-Casa Paella with drinks from the Castle Inn bar.
4. Dust off your dancing shoes and channel the summer vibe at Salfest, the Brewery Bop #23 and the Big Starline Reunion 2. Salfest on 14th July has six bands lined up, music starts at 1 pm and continues until 11 pm. The Brewery Bop, in aid of Joel’s Wish Charity, boasts live music from ‘The Reggaelators’ and ‘The Drop’ and takes place on 7th July and The Big Starline Reunion 2 is taking place on 21 July at the Ludlow Cricket Club and insists on ‘strictly over 35s only with their own teeth’!
5. Paws for thought – a firm favourite in the Ludlow Event’s Calendar, the 5th Ludlow Rotary Dog Day takes place at Stokesay Court on 22 July and raises funds for a variety of local charities. Enjoy a great day out with your dogs, family and friends. Highlights include: exciting dog display teams, competitions for your dogs to enter from fun scurries to waggiest tail, children’s activity area, tea and cakes, real ales and stalls offering a wide variety of countryside and doggy accessories.
6. Let’s Go Green – the Ludlow Green Festival takes place in the main market square on Sunday 8th July. The event promises a Green Walk, live music, children’s activities and a tour of the organic allotments. The day is run by the local, voluntary group, Ludlow 21 which aims to promote fair-trade, recycling, transport, education, food and farming.